Monday, February 15, 2010

chicken and potatoes braised in coconut milk with homemade curry powder

This curry was kind of a hodgepodge, starting from a recipe in Mark Bittman's "How to Cook Everything" (you can tell this is me writing, since Alex doesn't really need the Bittman). This one started with braised potatoes, and then had many options for what to braise them in, coconut milk being one. But I added the chicken, which I browned in the Le Creuset and then browned the potatoes in the same pan after removing the chicken. Then I threw in some onions and carrots and then the coconut milk and put the chicken back in and added the curry powder (again, I started with the Mark Bittman recipe for the hot Indian curry powder, but I threw in some freshly ground cardamom leftover from some ridiculously spicy chocolate I made for Susan's birthday {sorry Susan!}) and then I let it all cook for 20 minutes. For liquid I added some of the water/vinegar mix I had used to reconstitute dried peppers for another recipe (big ancho chilies and some little chilies de arbol). I cut up a couple of the hot chilies and added them as well. The cabbage never made it in there.

1 comment:

  1. I want to come over and eat this and drink the firewater.

    ReplyDelete